Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Teeth: skinless

My new year's resolution to be more organized didn't even last a month.

Scenario: hard deadline for a paper submission, enforced by a cold unfeeling electronic door, 15.45, Jan 31st. Submission is final action required for passing a 6 credit course. 6 credits is many.

Our hero idiot decides Jan 30th is a good time to start writing said paper; has realized he has once again cut things a bit too fine when, after 4 hours sleep, paper is the best paper it can be under the circumstances. With 40 minutes to go on deadline. 8 miles from cold unfeeling electronic door. In a snow storm. Quick calculation - never get there by bike in fresh snow. Public transport is round-about, takes ages. Bugger bugger bugger. Only one gamble available...

Final 40 exciting minutes spent thus:
*sprint to taxi stand ......................................... 3 minutes
*wait for taxi ..................................................... 5 minutes
*tense taxi ride, snowy roads, traffic............. 30 minutes
*toss taxi driver wallet, franticly .................. >1 minute
*sprint to cold unfeeling electronic door ....... >1 minute

By this stage it's all up in the air. I'm terrified to pull the door handle, but I do... and it gives. I love you, cold unfeeling electronic door.

I say it every time, but *never* again.

6 comments:

Ciaran said...

That's pretty funny Dave, I seem to remember you staying up all night to hand in our database design project to Vinny Wade, nice to know some things don't change :)

delta said...

Hehe, yeah - sad but true. I've already printed out some exercise work for one of my next classes, not due till mid-march. I plan to do it this weekend just to proove to myself there's another way!

Annie said...

It's good to know that things don't change. Why the move?

Have you done that exercise yet btw?

Robert Phelan said...

Well done mate. Way to show your slacker cred

delta said...

@Annie - the move of apartment? Or some other move?

@Rob Hopefully this'll work out so I get slacker cred, and actual credits, fingers crossed.

Annie said...

Oh, I meant the move of the blog...