Saturday, February 24, 2007

It hurts


Feet extensions
Originally uploaded by delta_avi_delta.
Went for the first cross-country ski of the year today. Ow. I went to Paloheinä, a center about 40 minutes by foot and bus from the flat. I'd never been there before (I'd confused it with another center) - hired my skis and set forth.

There was an easy 3.9km route I decided would be a good break-in. I spent most of the first couple of km looking at my feet, trying to to fall over - and so missed the signposts. After what seemed like a good distance without turning around, after a grueling uphill bit I faceplanted on, there was a signpost. Pointing back along a straighter road the way I came. "Paloheinä: 3km". Hmm.

The straight road proved useless - not enough snow cover and too many pine needles, so I crossed back across to the windy route, and shuffled back. I'd only been going about an hour and twenty minutes by the time I handed my skis back in, and hobbled to the bus, but I was done, cooked, finished.

And after that jolly introduction, is anyone up for coming along next week?

2 comments:

darren said...

me me me!

Anonymous said...

I am I am!